Boats without motors: No license is required.
However, some owners require some sailing experience.
They may suggest a skipper or captain or ask you to give details of your sailing experience. This is why it is important to carefully fill in your Nautical CV when you register.
You will not need a license if the rental is "with captain". You will find this information on the boat listing.
Boats with a motor: The regulations are stricter for a boat with a motor.
- In France, if the engine power is less than 6 hp, then you can rent the boat without a license. Above 6 hp, a boat license is required (coastal or offshore). A boat license is not required to rent a sailing boat without a captain.
- In Spain, a license is compulsory for a motorboat over 15m and with an engine power of more than 6 hp.
- In Greece, the engine power must be less than 30 hp.
- In Croatia, the engine power must be less than 6 hp.
- In Italy, a license is compulsory for a motorboat over 24m and with an engine power of more than 40 hp.
On the listing, at the bottom of the page, you will find under "Conditions" whether a license is required or not.
**Our advice: Contact the owner before confirming your reservation to make sure you have the right license for your request. This will avoid any misunderstanding! **